Good/Bad NHL Surprises

Not a lot of games to choose from on a quiet Monday in the sports world and quite frankly, after my prognostication over the weekend, I think I need a break from the breakdowns. Who knew that the Browns special teams would put the Saints into submission or that the Bills would score 34 points against the Ravens’ defense? I guess it’s my job to know, but I’m comforted in knowing that I wasn’t the only one that failed to see these two games unfolding the way that they did.

I did want to write about some of the good/bad surprises in the NHL so far as many teams hit 10 games played this week. I did this about a week into the season and just wanted to update myself, but I also wanted to write about a certain team that just continues to get the job done despite so many hurdles both on and off the ice. It’s very easy to cheer for this team and Sens fans could only wish that the roster in front of them would show the same kind of energy/urgency that this group does night after night.

Good

Nashville Predators

I remember distinctly writing that this team has a middle-of-the-road roster and could struggle, but may not because of having a great equalizer in head coach Barry Trotz. He’s done a masterful job at getting this team to be at the top of the NHL standings after 8 games by picking up 13 points. This being done in a division that includes Chicago and Detroit and every team is over .500, even Columbus.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Many people were on the Steve Yzerman bandwagon after owner Jeff Vinnik brought him in to be the GM of the hockey club. I was one of the few that said that I would wait to give my praise until after I saw some results. Well, tops in the Eastern Conference so far is enough for me to start giving credit where due. Along with new head coach Guy Boucher, they’ve turned a bottom-feeder into a certain playoff contender.

Bad

New Jersey Devils

There’s already chatter amongst the media that head coach John MacLean is on the hot seat in Jersey after the team is off to a 2-6-1 start. It didn’t help that he benched 100 million dollar man Ilya Kovalchuk for a game only to see his team lose 6-1 to Buffalo. The Devils have scored 15 goals in 9 games and look anything but a Stanley Cup contender

Ottawa Senators

I was going to leave them off the list ‘cause I hear so much about their poor play already, but how can you not have them in the “bad” category? This team is void of any life, energy or urgency right now and no one can figure out why. Head coach Cory Clouston is really going to earn his pay if he can get this group to turn it around quickly in three games this week at home.