Figure Out an Agreement Already

When it comes to reading about most things business-related, whether it be a major acquisition or a launch of a new product, I’m normally affected not swayed by emotion one way or another. Of course, things like bankruptcy and massive layoffs and cuts to manpower will make me feel terrible for the people affected. However, I didn’t feel like I was affected by the repeated stories I would read about the ongoing negotiations between NFL team owners and the NFL players. It only took until the day after the release of the 2011 schedule for me to realize just how much I really have been affected.

Last night would have normally been a night where I watched intently on the NFL network as the major games were announced and the schedules of all 32 teams would scroll across the bottom of the screen. Who would the Buffalo Bills play in the opener? Who would the Bills play in the home opener? How difficult is our schedule? How many wins can we put ourselves down for this year based on the 16 teams that come up over the season? All questions that I would be asking myself as I gather all the information.

However, I couldn’t have cared less about the team’s schedule. After all, what good is putting out a schedule if there’s no guarantee that there will be a season at all? That would be like the NHL deciding to put out a schedule now knowing that the Phoenix Coyotes have a strong possibility to be heading to Winnipeg to play as the Jets for the 2011-2012 season. I’m sure the people of Phoenix wouldn’t have really cared one way or another about the release of the NHL season even if they were secure as can be, but with no security whatsoever, do you think they would care about who the opponents would be in February 2012? Not a chance.

I really hate the idea of being so indifferent about a sport that I love so much. Sunday afternoons during football season make the final day of the weekend so enjoyable and really cap off a couple of days in which everyone was able to unwind. However, I just can’t get into anything NFL-related knowing that two sides are being stubborn in their ways in a selfish attempt to get more of the 9 billion dollar pie. I understand that both sides have to be stubborn to secure as much money as they can, but it’s starting to become personal for someone like myself. When you start playing with my emotions, then I’m going to respond.

Don’t ask me for my thoughts on the NFL Draft because it makes me sick that these players might not have a chance to suit up for their respective teams. If the subject comes up on the show, I’ll talk about it, but know that I have a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth while doing so.

I hope that by continuing to work as if everything is normal, the NFL and the players are showing everyone that they will eventually get everything worked out and nothing will be affected. However, until they show that they will be back, I’m withhold my excitement and that sour taste stuck in my mouth will get more and more acidic.