Picks for UFC 102

Didn't think I would get so business-like on you guys....to be honest, my initial post on the fight card tonight was going to be mainly about my picks and only a couple of blurbs on the economic aspect of the card itself, but once I got going, I didn't really wanna stop until my full point was made....

Anyways, there's five fights on the main card tonight and I'll give you my picks for all five, but I will preface it by saying that I'm only confident enough for two of the picks where I will actually plunk some money down on those fighters tonight....I'll highlight those fights in bold for you just in case you want to go with my picks.....

I will say that I was 2-2 for picks in UFC 101 by picking B.J Penn over Kenny Florian by submission in the 4th and Silva by KO over Griffin (http://showkiller.blogspot.com/2009/08/why-is-it-soooo-cold.html) ...I can't do any better than that folks

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Minotauro Nogueira

So tough to call because everyone is unsure about where their bodies are at this point in their respective careers.....How much does Randy Couture have left in the tank at the age of 46 and how much does Nogueira have left in the tank after numerous wars in Pride and UFC in only a small number of years?

A lot of people are picking Couture by decision and I keep hearing the basis for their pick is on how Nogueira performed against Mir a couple months ago....however, a lot of people do not realize that Nogueira went into that fight still fighting the effects of a staph infection and also dealing with a bum knee that was not fully healed despite surgery in February 2009....

I don't mind taking Nogueira as a slight underdog here....he's +150 for the fight tonight as of right now on bet365....

Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva

If you can find a bet where you don't have to necessarily pick a winner, but you can bet on the fight ending via knockout, then try to get some money down on that....the odds on bet365 have this as a virutal toss-up with Jardine as a very slight favourite.....I like Jardine's experience to win out here and get the win over Silva, but it should be the fight of the night...

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia

Another toss-up fight because both of these guys are so talented.....Maia is known for his submissions since he's won every fight by submission and Marquardt can beat his opponent in every way possible....but Maia has problems with the striking game and Marquardt seems to excel at that....Marquardt is the favourite at -175 and I'll take him to win here....

Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

This smells like a fight where the matchmaker allows for the hometown boy (Chris Leben) to get himself a good-looking win in front of the hometown faithful....As long as Leben keeps the fight standing up, he can neutralize the three-time NCAA wrestling champion and pound him out for a good victory....

Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

As much as I want Soszynski to represent Canada well, I think he's in over his head against a very talented fighter in Vera....For a guy that can alternate between fighting at light heavyweight and heavyweight, Vera is very quick and agile....and it's those traits that should get him to the pay window tonight....Vera is the biggest favourite on the main-card tonight at -200

Enjoy the fights!