A Glimpse into the World of Andy Sutton

First off, I have to apologize to those who either tweeted me, texted me or even left a quick voicemail right after I made a comment about Andy Sutton's hit...and let them know that I feel like a complete jack-ass...

Here's the quick story:

I watched the game live last night at an "establishment", but I woke up this morning to watch the game a second time so I could take notes and be ready to talk about it a little on Monday morning...

I wrote a quick tweet that said, "Isn't that Andy Sutton hit on Jordan Leopold just a perfect example to KEEP YOUR HEAD UP when you have the puck? Looked bad, but a clean hit"

After that, I received a couple of replies on twitter, several texts and even a quick voicemail that all made the same comment..."Are you an expert?"

I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on...first of all, all these same people commenting were Sens fans (at least I thought so) and I thought my comment was Sens-friendly. And second, why were they so quick to judge this one opinion that I had, considering I offer up about 100 different opinions a week during Sportscall.

Well, being someone that stands up for himself can be a blessing or a curse...and this time, it ended up being a curse as I just ripped apart the few people that had decided to take me to task like that...only to have those same people all point to the Sutton presser as the source of their questioning...oops!

So, quick thoughts on the whole exchange:

First off, my good friend, the Farj (a.k.a. Ian Mendes) has a great scene-setter for the Sutton presser...I urge you to read the quick blog... http://tinyurl.com/y5h68tt

Secondly, whoever that reporter was either was a huge fan of Jordan Leopold/Pittsburgh Penguins or someone related to him...the confrontational "question" that he asked is not something that would be recommended by people running journalism schools.

There was a much better way that he could have asked Sutton about the elbow portion of the hit, such as, "What do you say to those who think you may have hit him with a forearm or elbow?" or "What do you say to those who might think that the hit was a suspendible offense?"

You could understand Sutton's frustration...his team has already lost and he's already answered three questions on the subject and now he has to deal with a question/statement that's personally attacking him...much like I vented at those people asking me if I was an expert...LOL

I just like how Sutton wouldn't get off his point by asking over and over again if this guy was an expert...at one point, reporter answers "yes" just to try and diffuse the situation...wasn't gonna work....Mount Sutton was erupting!

Again, it's a terrible question/statement by the reporter and a frustrated player took him to the woodshed for it...but it got me to thinking about what the world would be like if opinions and thoughts could only be shared by those who had extensive knowledge or a particular subject or field...

Actually, I got to thinking about it after a bunch of you took me to task about whether or not I was an expert...but that's neither here nor there... :-)

First, the question has to be addressed, what constitutes an expert? So, for Andy Sutton, does said reporter have to have played at least one NHL game to hit expert status? Does he have to have played 1000 games? Does he have to have at least 100 fights? Just deciding on who would be experts would be just so tedious and subjective...

Then I guess there would be no such thing as audience participation on a station on The Team 1200 because unless you could prove your expertise was legitimate, you could not be able to voice an opinion either through phone, e-mail or text...Hell, I might not even have a job with the Team because I might not be eligible for expert status myself.

But no, it would go even further than that...Imagine these few scenarios:

1) I go to vote in the next municipal election and walk up to the voting booth

Voting Booth Attendant: Hello, Mr. Melanson. Thank you for voting. But I must ask, are you an expert in the subject of fiscal economy, community relations or municipal government?
Me: Uhhhh....no...
Voting Booth Attendant: Then I'm sorry, you're not eligible to vote today, but we appreciate taking the time to volunteer your time.

2) Since I planned on having dinner after voting, I go with my roommate to have some Italian Dinner

Paul: What do you think of your dinner?
Me: The spaghetti is ok...the meatballs are kind of cold and sauce seems like it was just re-heated...I think I'm gonna return this...
Paul: You should since you're paying good money for that
Waiter: Is everything ok here?
Me: Actually, I think I would like to return this...the meatballs are cold and sauce is no good
Waiter: I'm sorry, but are you an expert in Italian cooking?
Me: Uhhhh....no...
Waiter: Then I'm sorry, you'll just have to eat that since you do not have the knowledge necessary to make us re-do your dinner for you.

3) After having a terrible dinner, I decide to get treat myself to a haircut...I have a date this weekend anyways...

Barber: Hi! How are you?
Me: I'm alright...can I just get my head slightly shaved? Maybe a #3 or #4 razor...
Barber: I'm sorry, are you an expert at hair design?
Me: God...I'm starting to hate that question...no, I'm not...
Barber: Then I'll decide what kind of haircut you get since you don't have the necessary knowledge to make a decision like that...

4) Well, after a terrible day, I'm just gonna get home, but I feel like taking the bus since I don't wanna walk anymore...

Me: (sits down)
Passenger: You look a little tired
Me: Yeah, it's been a tough day...just wish there was a better light-rail system so that I could get home much quicker
Passenger: I'm sorry, but are you an expert on urban planning or public transportation?
Me: Oh my god, if I hear that question one more time...no, I'm not...
Passenger: Then unfortunately, you're not entitled to an opinion on those kinds of subjects

And so on and so forth...have a great rest of the weekend! I'm gonna get away from this damn laptop and all you people who want to know if I'm an expert or not... :-)