Giant World Cup Post

Took 2 days to watch 8 soccer games since I'm doing things outside the house and falling asleep on the couch a bunch of times, but it's done

Before I get into some soccer takes (that seems weird to me), gotta get in a couple of thoughts on the broadcasts of the games themselves...

If you're stuck watching the games in regular def instead of HD, do yourself a favour and buy a HD set...difference is apples and oranges...

Kudos to match commentators calling 90 mins on their own....it's a refreshing change from 2-3 man constant voice broadcasts of North America

Would the one-man soccer broadcast ever work though if the commentator didn't have the generic, yet necessary, British accent? I doubt it...

Why does Bob Lenarduzzi give me the same vibe of lack of credibility that Mike Milbury does on NBC hockey broadcasts? Maybe it's just me....

I've also noticed what it takes for a player to execute the perfect dive....when they call soccer the beautiful game, the diving is included

There's been an epidemic of diving in the NHL over the last couple years, but hockey players have nothing on soccer players on this subject!

The perfect dive involves: a jump into the air followed by a good roll...the more rolls, the better....then hands in the face and screams...

I've got the over/under on how many times I see soccer players give the thumbs-up to each other during World Cup at 1000...what's your pick?

I go to bed every night with the sound of vuvuzelas stuck in my head...I might have permanent ear damage once the month of soccer is over...

My guess is that I will say the word vuvuzelas about 100 times between now and the end of the World Cup, then never say it in my life again!

What a sight it was when South Africa was able 2 take the first goal of the opening match...I felt bad for them when the Mexicans tied it...

First time I fell asleep during World Cup was during France/Uruguay's 0-0 match...they all can't be exciting, but if only half of them could

Just so ironic whenever Thierry Henry appeals with the referee for handball from the opposition....he should be carded for that on the spot!

Pretty sad that anytime I think of Uruguay, all I can picture is Homer Simpson telling me, "You are gay...." Yes, I know...terribly immature

Just 2 save myself from having to explain that Simpson reference to anyone who's unaware of it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wMLwsYxjA

Korea beats Greece 2-0...question for major soccer fans...is that a case of people underestimating the Koreans or the Greeks being that bad?

Didn't Greece just win the Euro 6 years ago? I know they weren't expected to win it that season, but they did...the 2010 team looks awful...

Most people I've talked 2 have told me that the U.S./England matchup was the best of the tournament so far...my vote is Argentina/Nigeria...

Great up and down game with chances for both sides all over the place...even with the loss, I like Nigeria to be successful going forward...

There aren't too many players that capture your attention with a touch of the ball, but Lionel Messi is certainly 1 of those special guys...

England didn't do anything to make me believe they'll do well in this competition....they make it past the group stage, but then get exposed

The Americans will certainly be happy with the result...other than the mistake made by Robert Green, the Americans didn't do much 2 threaten

Speaking of Green, I'm sure he's being nice and roasted even 48 hours later...then he'll have a good game and everything goes back to normal

I'll bet the World Cup schedulers were more than happy to have this decision to make....what game is the highlight/prime-time game of Day 3?

The choices: Slovenia vs. Algeria / Serbia vs. Ghana / Germany vs. Australia...sorry to fans of the 1st four countries...no offense intended

Would love to know who the Algerian barber is....although with all the blonde hair colouring, it wouldn't be a barber, rather a hair stylist

Great to see an African team not only compete, but win as well...Ghana gets the first win of the tournament for African nations over Serbia!

Just imagine what the atmosphere would be in a stadium if/when an African country makes it past the group stage and into the knockout rounds