A Little Reminiscing Part 1

Rosalie and I got to talking last night about what we used to do as a kid on weekends. She loved to just spend time with her animals and hang out with her sister back in the countryside of B.C.

I was much different 'cause I didn't have any animals, I lived in a downtown apartment and my weekends as a kid were about three things...playing sports, watching wrestling and playing video games.

It got me to thinking about some of the weekends that I would spend renting different sports video games. Most people would write about the best video games they played, but I decided to go the opposite route and give you some of the worst sports games I played as a kid on NES.

In order of which I remembered how bad these games were:

5) Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball

Have you ever played something so bad that all you can do is shrug your shoulders and laugh before putting down the controller? That's what I did with this game...

For starters, Clemens didn't secure the rights to proper names for the players, so we were stuck using guys like D. Raspberry and M. Caldonado.

Then, the gameplay is just so boring and the way to play defense is just so awkward. What a pile of garbage!



4) World Championship Wrestling

Pretty much a glimpse into how bad WCW was at the time compared to WWF...Just trying to punch or kick your opponent was a difficult task.

I thought wrestling was supposed to be about the moves, but really, all you needed to do was master the art of kicking and you had the match won.

I vividly remember trying to play this with my sister one time and getting so annoyed that we just raced our guys across the ring to see who win in different sprints...



3) American Gladiators

I was such a big fan of the show that I couldn't wait to rent this game one weekend. I was gonna be Wesley "Two Scoops" Berry and take on those guys 1000%.

I remember doing really well with my sports teams that weekend 'cause I didn't stay up to play this piece of garbage. I played maybe all of 5 minutes and had enough of it.

There was nothing to this game...you just play events individually, get a high score and do it over again. What's the point? I wanted to take on a challenger and win the tournament!



2) Jordan vs. Bird: One on One

Should have realized that only being able to choose one of two players was a sign that this game was going to be just awful.

You had the choice of either playing 1-on-1 or the slam-dunk contest. Don't even try the slam-dunk contest since it's impossible to pull off a move.

Defending is pretty aggravating too...you have a choice of either jumping in the air or having your guy perform arm spasms in an attempt to steal the ball. What a waste of time...



1) George Foreman's KO Boxing

Remember when you would have sleepover parties with your buddies and you would stay up all night playing a certain video game to try and beat it? Well, I remember a had a party with four of my friends.

We all decided to rent a game and then bring it to the party. I was such a big boxing fan even as a kid, so I saw this game and figured I would give it a shot.

I convinced my friends to put it in first...needless to say, we moved on to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles within 10 minutes and the game was never picked up again until it was brought back to the store.